About Volunteering and Involvement
Check Out Ways You Can Help
Looking forward to a great 22-23 school year!
Welcome Wildcats! It’s Time to Think about Volunteering at School
The Staff and Administration at Whitman are preparing to make this the best year for everyone. We need all of you to become Wildcat Volunteers. Volunteering is one of the best ways to create a community and support your student. Many research studies have shown that when parents/guardians are involved in their child’s education, these students achieve more regardless of socio-economic status/ethnic background or even their own parent’s education level. Refer to the district page on Volunteering for more information.
Need more info or have questions? Please email WMS PTSA Volunteer Coordinator, Becky Andrews at email@example.com
The 23-24 Whitman PTSA Needs YOU!
We are recruiting for next year’s PTSA Board and we actually need to fill almost an entire PTSA Board. Now is the time to step up, or partner with a friend to take on one of the roles. Without you, we aren’t able to support the school with books, mental health services, math tutoring, teacher support, community events, and direct support to families in need. If you were active in the PTSA in elementary school but haven’t stepped into a role here at Whitman, now is the time. Kids need our help more than ever as it’s an especially critical time in their development and with the budget limitations at SPS, Whitman will need more help than usual. If you want to help but aren’t sure what would fit your time and talent, please contact Erika Goodmanson at WhitmanPTSAPresident@gmail.com. There truly is a role for everyone.
- We are currently collecting nominations for ALL elected positions – we need ALL roles filled except VP of Volunteers.
- People can self-nominate, or nominate someone else, or e-mail questions to WhitmanPTSAPresident@gmail.com. Nominations will be collected until May 9 at 9 am.
- Roles needed include:
- VP of Fundraising
- VP of Communications
- VP of Equity
- VP of Advocacy.
- 6th Grade Building Leadership Team Rep.
- We are also recruiting for all other open positions which are still critically important, but the volunteers do not need to be voted in.
- Anyone interested should submit their name.
- The main roles we need to be filled are:
- Treasurer Assistant
- Tech Manager
- Events Chair
- Building Improvement, School Beautification, and Courtyard Chair
- Social/Emotional Chair
- Nominating Committee Chair
Erika Goodmanson, President
Whitman Middle School PTSA
Opportunities to Help Parents Build Levels of Involvement & Awareness
Middle school students begin to develop a sense of self and independence that is separate from their families, making parents and guardians unsure how much to be involved or how to be involved.
We have many opportunities to help parents build levels of involvement and awareness; here are some easy proposals.
First, join the PTSA. Your membership fees help support your school
Second, read the weekly newsletter and educate yourself about what is going on at Whitman and respond to requests for volunteers whether it is for a onetime project or on a weekly basis. Many opportunities are available for working parents or for those who are caregivers during the day. Opportunities range from baking cookies for an event to helping with gardening for a couple of hours on a Saturday.
Also, keep the lines of communication open. Log onto The Source and check your student’s grades and email their teachers. Keep talking with your kids about issues that are important to you. Get to know other parents through attending school events and build community! As you can see, continuing or becoming active in your student’s middle school is easy and can pay big dividends in staying connected to your student and their school community!
How to become a Volunteer at Whitman
How to Apply to Volunteer with Seattle Public Schools
Why Volunteer in Your Child’s School?
- Higher grades, test scores & graduation rates
- Better attendance
- Increased motivation & self-esteem
Checklist for New Volunteers
Visit our volunteer website to:
- Review volunteer handbook
- Complete online training
- Apply securely online
- Background check required
Questions? Contact your school office or visit Volunteer
Additional Steps for Certain Volunteer Roles
The following volunteer roles require a national background check, regardless of how long the volunteer has resided in Washington:
- Unsupervised volunteers who work with children regularly (including remote/virtual volunteers).
- Volunteers chaperoning overnight field trips longer than three days.
- Volunteers involved in any sports or gym activities coordinated by the school (for Athletics see *).
If situations 2 or 3 apply to you, visit the volunteer website to learn more.
* Important: Athletic coaches must apply via SPS Athletics Department.
All gym and sports volunteers must be current on CPR, First Aid, Sudden Cardiac Arrest and Concussion Courses.
Field trip volunteers supervise students. Once approved to volunteer, request additional forms from the field trip organizer to review and acknowledge your important responsibilities.
Keeping Students Safe
Child Abuse Prevention
Nationally, one in four girls and one in six boys are sexually abused before age 18. Volunteers help to protect children by learning to recognize and report potential abuse.
At SPS, each volunteer completes an online Sexual Misconduct Prevention training before start of their service.
Criminal Background Check
- If you have lived in Washington State for the past three (3) years, SPS will complete your state background check at no cost to you.
- If you came to Washington from another state in the past three years, you will need to purchase a one-time national background check.
New or newly returned to the U.S.?
Visit the SPS Volunteer page for more information.
Why is there a fee for out-of-state background checks?
Unlike our state, the federal government does not provide schools with free screening tools. SPS selected a vendor to offer secure, affordable background checks for the volunteers who need them ($21 in most cases).
Frequently Asked Questions
I completed an online application in 2021. Do I have to reapply this year?
Your online application is on file so please do not create a new application. On your second volunteer anniversary, you will receive an email with log-in instructions to renew your application.
Can I use my smart phone to apply?
Our online volunteer application is smart-phone friendly.
Thank you for helping create safe schools, and for your generous donation of time and talent!