Science at Whitman MS
- Our Commission as a public school: Alignment to State Standards/NGSS.
- Our Science Standards focus on Eliminating the Opportunity Gap
- Growing scientifically literate citizens prepared for 21st century careers
- Through a Common Scope and Sequence & Culturally Relevant Pedagogy
- Common scope and sequence
- Aligned to standards
- For ALL Kids in ALL schools
SPS Focus: Science Teaching and Learning
- Phenomenon-based storyline
- Student Discourse for sense making
- Conceptual scientific models
- Explanation and Argumentation
6-8 Program structure
- One Launch Unit
- Six Core Units
- Two Engineering Internships
Every unit revolves around a real-world problem:
- Light Waves: Why is the rate of skin cancer in Australia so much higher than any other part of the world?
- Thermal Energy: Which system will most effectively heat Riverdale school?
- Natural Selection: How has the newt population in Oregon State Park become more poisonous over time?
Preparing students for success in HS Science
- Introduce a real-world problem
- Collect evidence from a variety of sources
- Construct increasingly complex explanations
- Apply knowledge to a different problem
- Do Now (warm-up)
- Exit ticket (tied to objective)
- Standards based
- L1, L2, L3, L4
- About twice a week
- Selected work scored to give students feedback
- The big points
- Retakes possible
If you might be able to volunteer as a chaperone or in-class assistance, we’d love to have you pre-registered in the system. Please call Janice Runner at 206-252-1200 in the office to complete the paperwork and the required background check.