Resources by Subject
General Research Resources
- Amazing Educational Resources
- Wide Open School – Common Sense Media
- Common Sense Media Links by Subject and Age
- Find reliable information in the SPS Databases found in SPS Online Student Resources.
- Get research help from the Seattle Public Library teen research page.
- Questions about citations? See Ms. Macer, your ELA teacher or these resources: OWL – Online Writing Lab MLA Citation Help – Purdue U.
Sources by Topic
Each of these pages has lists of great websites that have vetted for student and teacher use.
- AP News
- BBC – British Broadcasting Corporation
- Britannica – SPS – Click on >Students >Online Academic Resources >High School
- Choose the high school edition and then scroll down to News from New York Times
- When at home: username: studentsps password: ask librarian
- CNN 10 – Explaining global news to a global audience. CNN 10 replaces CNN Student News. 10-minute news show that appears as a daily digital video on CNN.com.
- Detecting Fake News – UC – Berkeley Library
- Fact Checkers – Compilation of sites from UC – Berkeley Library on finding real news & detecting fake news
- KidsPost from The Washington Post – not sure if there are charges after a certain number of visits
- Library Link – through SPL -access to digital news, databases – students use 990000 + their SPS student ID to create a 13 digit username Password: birthday month and day – MMDD – ex. March 3 would be 0303
The following can be found in SPL.org using your personal library card or your Library Link number:
- Magazines & news : – Adfont. They have recently changed this to a paid subscription, with a static view available to the public. I have emailed to see if they can grant access to educators.
- Newseum – “Today’s Front Pages” Link posted soon!
- Newseum Ed – “Classroom Connections” – more in depth look at big news & research – good teacher resource
- Pulitzer Center
- Reuters News
- The SIFT News –The SIFT – News Literacy Project – viral rumors, fake news, news literacy
- SIRS Discoverer Trending Topics – through SPS – >Students >Online Academic Resources
- at home username: studentsps password: ask librarian
- Tween Tribune Smithsonian grades 7-8
History & Social Studies Links
Current Event Resources, including NewsBanks
Help us Celebrate Women’s History Month!